Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dedication at Pahukini

Aloha kaua!
Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!  As I am sitting here looking forward to what just may be my most meaningful and 
inspiring New Year,  I wanted to share with you a little glance of gratitude for the journey hula has taken me on last year and how it has influenced my life. These photo's are but a glimpse that can be had when you follow the path of hula.
With my most recent visit to O'ahu and my sister halau from Kailua and Japan, here we are at Pahukini for a pahu ceremony where we dedicated our pahu (drum) for use in traditional hula.




These beautiful pahu above were made with much thought and inspiration. Each ho'opa'a painstakingly worked on their own design that they added to the traditional style pahu .




Pahukini,  sits quietly at left behind the simple chain link fence. Posted with the National Register of Historic places in 1972, the heiau was officially dedicated in 1988.

Pahukini, means 40,000 drums. Said to have been built by 'Olopana, of my kupuna Mo'ikeha 'ohana.





                                                                                                                                                                                                It started out cool with a heavy downpour right after our ceremony that forced us to leave in a hurry.  Here i am at right with my dear hula sister from Japan, Leimamo.                                                                                                          

                                                                                                                   
Its not unusual for such sacred ceremony to bring tears of joy to the hula folk. 
Below Kaimi and Springs hold on to the moment.  
                                                                                                               
             
Here Kumunui at realhula.com and Kumu Sandii of http://sandii.s168.xrea.com/studio/  two of the most dearest of friends and Kumu Hula.
Before the Pahu ceremony we had prepping and gathering to do:
These are the hula dancers from 'Okinawa. They were so nice to be around.   Yes, hula on Okinawa!

 
Along with the pahu, some of us made kilu, the small drum or puniu, the knee drum like the ones above
with real kala fish skin. Aren't they lovely? I mean the puniu?!
Leiawapuhi and Makanalani enjoy the hula dancers Hawaiian gathering rights!

Okay, it's getting late now and the site isn't doing what i want so time for me to put up the pc.
 I will post more photos soon of my journey in hula.  I hope you enjoyed seeing what fun a hula life can be. In my little corner of the world.
A hui hou,
Mo'ikeha


   






1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    What a wonderful event you have there! I found your youtube videos first, and they led me here on your blog! Actually I wanted to be able to understand some Keal'i Reichels songs, and I found your lesson videos! So I will try to follow some of those! I come from Latvia, and our language is very full of consonants, so hawaiian is so different to the sounds I am used to hear. Right now here in urope it is still winter, and I listen in streaming to native fm radio to remember how the summer was like. I hope so much that one day I will be able to cross the globe and see the islands for real not just in the pictures! Have a wonderful day!
    Liga

    ReplyDelete

For more information please contact Kahula o Nā Mamo o Mōʻīkeha

Telephone: (808) 430-1054 or (808) 937-0820
Email: hulabymoikeha@gmail.com
Location: Hilo, Big Island

Blog Archive