Monday, October 17, 2011

New Hula Kahiko Begins!

New hula kahiko class begins!
Aloha my friends, my topic today is my new hula kahiko class. 
If you didn't know already, along with 'modern hula' or 'auana, I teach traditional kahiko.  That is hula known as ancient hula.  This type of hula refers to the hula passed down from generation to generation before the 'ukulele hula's that we have come to know.  It is not easy to start a new class of traditional hula.  Especially, if you have adult dancers. 
  In the old days the hula practitioner would begin to teach hula to children or the young adult.
A student is much easier to teach when they are young and their bodies are pliable. Strong and flexible.  Can the adult student be taught kahiko? Absolutely, especially if they are ready to learn.

 An older student can usually follow the style being taught easier than if they had never danced hula before. Yes, I find that to be more true, because it can be hard to 'unlearn' a foot motion, or body motion that you have been doing for however long.  In our 'olapa class we learn the basic foot and hand motions that are so consistent that it can translate a moment in time and history.  Motions that can express the feeling of a person, or describe a place or a famous deity is so remarkable that this Hawaiian dance has grown to become the most beloved of all the Polynesian dances. 
                                                                             
 Our basics are just that, basics, which means they don't change. 'Basics' are the foundation of hula that once learned will never be forgotten.  Each halau is different. So what is true in one school may not be the same in the other.  Ka hula o na mamo o Mo'ikeha is considered a 'water' halau, very fluid with lots of motion. In both our kahiko and 'auana hula. 

My new 'olapa students are off to a great start. They are excited and so am I and we are all ready to take on the challenge to learning the traditions that make hula what it is today.
Do you think you have what it takes to be a hula dancer? I invite you to check out the video above where you can see alakai'i Ahonui demonstrating a hula 'auana I created for our recent Macomber 'ohana reunion.  If you would like to learn 'Ka Ua o Ha'ao' - written by my cousin Shaula, send me your email and i can send lyrics and motions.  Yours in hula!


2 comments:

  1. Aloha I would like to learn the hula again I loved hula when I was younger but never continued cause of not having the money.. Please I'm willing to learn here is my email deekaaihuedk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha - that was lovely - I enjoyed it.
    Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete

For more information please contact Kahula o Nā Mamo o Mōʻīkeha

Telephone: (808) 430-1054 or (808) 937-0820
Email: hulabymoikeha@gmail.com
Location: Hilo, Big Island

Blog Archive