Saturday, March 17, 2012

In Loving Memory Kumu Raylene Ha'alelea Kawai'ae'a




I never knew tears could feel so good......

until I opened my heart and found they come from the same source

as boundless laughter

Instead of blurring my vision, they bring beauty into focus


Instead of burning my cheeks, they wash away dusty dryness

i used to hide behind.....

Let sorrow have me now for surrender has freed me

to savor the bittersweet nectar that flows

in measureless abundance

from within....


My heart is heavy for Hawaii's loss of Kohala's most precious Kumuhula, 
Aunty Raylene Kawai'ae'a. Sadly she passed away from a single car accident on March 9. This dear lady my family has known for many years. I started my teaching career in Kohala because Aunty Raylene opened the door for my journey back to my Hawaiian heritage and my beginnings in the Kupuna Program . Aunty went on to a position at Lili'uokalani Children's Center and I took her position at Kohala Elementary and Hala'ula Intermediate.
A most self-less and beautiful individual full of 'aloha' for all. If you met her for the first time, Aunty always made you feel like you knew her forever....So full of compassion and joy for others and always with a smile on her face. I will always remember her 'smile'. I used to look in the mirror and tell myself, " put a smile on your face like Aunty Raylene and give 'aloha' to everyone you meet!"
        Among Aunty's many attributes, she also was a master in Ho'oponopono, the process of 'making things right. I so wanted to attend the service in Kohala for anake, but my health has prevented me from going, so I just wanted to say something from me to Aunty Raylene.....watch this video and you can feel her aloha.....
Although, I haven't seen Aunty very much, but every now and then. I know she knew how much she meant to me. Knowing she was always within reach was a comfort, but now I will miss her so much knowing I can't just call her. She will always be in my heart.
Aloha wau ia 'oe e anake and mahalo ke Akua for sharing an angel with us....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful woman and beautiful oli. Many years ago I was in a halau in Oregon. Recently moved to the ninth island. Want to learn more of the language so I will interpret the dances better. Mahalo nui loa for your help, Ana Stein. Sent from Kona on our annual vacation. ;)

    ReplyDelete

For more information please contact Kahula o Nā Mamo o Mōʻīkeha

Telephone: (808) 430-1054 or (808) 937-0820
Email: hulabymoikeha@gmail.com
Location: Hilo, Big Island

Blog Archive